The holidays are here! And if you're like us, you're probably ready to get crafty. With Christmas just around the corner, it's time to start preparing your home for the best holiday ever. Here are some of our favourite DIY projects that will bring Christmas cheer into every room and make your house feel like a winter wonderland.
Make your own Christmas wreath
To make your own Christmas wreath, you will need:
- A round base, like a wreath ring. You can also use a wire frame or floral foam ring if you prefer.
- A variety of greenery—we like pine needles and holly leaves but you can also add berries, ivy or other seasonal foliage. Make sure that any stems are long enough to stick through the base without being seen from above (so they don’t look too messy).
- Lots of ribbon! We chose red satin ribbon but ribbons in different colours would look great too (try black & white for an elegant accent). Tie several pieces around each section of the wreath to secure it together – this will keep everything in place when it's hung up later on.
- Any extras? - We also chose cinnamon sticks, gold bells and made our own dehydrated oranges for an eco-friendly alternative.
Decorate a gorgeous Christmas tree...or two!
Christmas trees come in all shapes and sizes—and they're not cheap. Make sure you pick one that fits your space, your needs, and—if possible—your budget. When it comes to size, you might want to invest in a smaller tree for the home and go big with one outside. If you have pets or kids who like to climb trees then try choosing one without sharp needles; otherwise, go all out with decorations on top of this majestic structure!
Get sipping on some mulled wine
Mulled wine is a fantastic Christmas drink, with its mixture of warm spices, fruitiness and slight kick. You can serve it at your table as part of the meal or as a pre-meal drink to get everyone in the mood for some festive cheer.
What to serve with mulled wine? Try pairing it with your favourite Christmas treats.
Make your home smell like Christmas
The smell of cinnamon, pine and orange are a great way to get into the holiday spirit. You can make your home smell like Christmas by burning candles or adding potpourri to your decor. You can even make your own potpourri from natural ingredients such as cloves, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves. If you prefer an aroma with a more subtle fragrance, try spritzing some essential oils around the house or in the tree for a festive scent that won't overpower the room.
Create the perfect Christmas table
You can start by using a tablecloth. A tablecloth is a great way to add some colour and style to your dining room table, without having to worry about putting away the decorations after Christmas. You can also decorate the room with Christmas decorations like baubles and lights, which add a more festive touch.
Once you have your dining area ready for the holiday season, it’s time for centrepieces. If you want something simple that doesn’t take up too much space, go for something like candles or vases full of pinecones. Or if you have more room on the table (or if you really want to make an impact), why not go all out with an ornate centrepiece? This will look amazing next to everything else you've put out so far!
And don't forget napkins - they're another great way of adding colour and texture without taking up too much space or breaking the bank!
If any guests come over before Christmas Day itself then place runners down their length for extra warmth during mealtimes throughout each evening.
Have fun with mistletoe.
You can’t go wrong with mistletoe. It’s a traditional part of Christmas and is associated with kissing, which makes it perfect for decorating your home this holiday season! You can find mistletoe in a number of shops or online.
Eggnog is a must.
Eggnog is a classic Christmas drink—if you're not familiar with it or don't enjoy it, that's okay! The good news is that there are lots of options available in shops these days. It's also great as an alternative to your regular weekday morning routine: just add a dash of nutmeg or cinnamon and you'll be set!
Wear a Santa hat.
Some people like to wear Christmas jumpers, but we think that Santa hats are a must at this time of year. They're festive, fun and they add some sparkle to your outfit. The kids will love them too - you can have a laugh together by wearing matching Santa hats!
The holidays are for getting crafty!
- You can make your own decorations.
- You get to be creative, and you don't have to spend a lot on fancy decorations.
- You can use stuff you already have around the house like old books and magazines, or even pet toys from your local charity shop.
- They're also great for wrapping gifts in, especially if you're trying to keep it eco-friendly this year!
So now you’ve got a Christmas-themed list of activities to get you in the mood. Don’t forget to check out our blog for more holiday fun, including these tips on how to get your home Christmas ready and rediscovering your inner elf!